cool background.

Friday, November 12, 2010

It's Friiiiidayyy

 (The wife of Bath)
Dear reader,

     Today I am grateful for weekends. What a good idea! Who thought them up? Does anyone know, actually, where the weekend originated? 
      *ahem.* I would like to share a line from "The Wife of Bath" (part of the Canterbury Tales) that made me ponder. Describing her relations with her many husbands, the Wife exclaims that "We wommen han, if that I shal not lye
In this matere a queynte fantasye.
Wayte, what thyng we may nat lightly have,
Thereafter wol we crie al day and crave!
Forvede us thyng, and that desiren we:
Presse on us faste, and thanne wol we fle" (515-20). 

The gist of this passage is that women will always seek after what you deny them, and undervalue what they're given. Although I think this argument could be made about men as well, I'm curious what it is about women (or people) that seeks after the difficult and the unobtainable. What about that difficulty makes the end result more valuable?
Along that line, does it follow that people should make love continually difficult to obtain for their partner? That seems a little counter-productive to me. Perhaps after a certain time period you can stop "playing hard to get." 

Thoughts?



 

1 comment:

riss said...

I think some of us continually make life difficult for ourselves, perhaps out of the same psychological need. Overcomplicating things and looking for problems creates extra work, which makes the attainment of the goal seem more "worthwhile".