cool background.

Monday, March 22, 2010

to kit


You seemed so vulnerable
the first time I saw you.
Small, and almost hairless - mewling for your mom
and the night we took you home to stay
I worried
hoping the cold night air wouldn't be too much -
It wasn't.
Within a month you had taken control of the neighborhood pet life
every cat and dog under your sharp claws.
you stopped being 'kit' and became 'Cortez the Killer,'
dancing across our sidewalk in a vicious swirl of life and color.

There were days, and sometimes years, after our first weeks spent together
where I would see you hardly at all.
But I always knew you were there - still in control,
still the John Wayne of suburban-orchard frontier.
On hot summer days
when you deigned to descend from your wilderness throne
we would sit together. Me with my camera, you on my lap,
soft claws just shy of piercing my skin,
enjoying the heat.
And then, one day
I came home from college
and you had changed.
Softer, kinder, sweeter, more
old.
But beautiful, still, in your age.
I miss you now, Kit who was a boy,
I'm sorry I insisted you were a girl.
But I'm grateful you were there
while I grew up.
I'm grateful you grew up too.
I hope, that when I am old
people will be as grateful to have me around
as they were to have you.

No comments: