cool background.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Why I'm grateful for cell phones.

So, I wanted to finish this post and post it later, but it turns out you can't really finish a post when half of it is about where you are at that exact moment. So enjoy. ( :


Buenas! 

 

I'm sorry I haven't had a regular posting schedule for my blog yet. But tonight is different. So here goes.

 

 

Here I am, sitting on the upstairs back patio of our apartment, watching it rain as I eat pasta noodles and oil-fried, chopped vegetables. And the sky is a big dark purple cloud occasionally illuminated by a bright white light, and I don't really mind the sprinkling drops on my bare skin and laptop. I'm not thinking about how I was totally stressed today, or about all of things I don't know starting tomorrow morning. I am trying to think about all of the people I have met on this trip so far.

 

 

Before I came to Argentina, I felt meeting and getting to know other people would be the most important part of my stay. That has proved true, although (like everything else) not exactly how I thought it would. It turns out that I can be fine on my own. I can stand on a mountain by myself in the driving wind and rain and be happy. I can sit by the side of a lake and ponder the dark blue water and feel profoundly peaceful. I can wake up, read my scriptures, get dressed, eat too much sugar because I'm nervous, and walk into the lab to work on my own project completely independently. And I can walk home alone in the rain without an umbrella, and jump through ever puddle from here to Jujuy. And I can even go to bed before midnight with no one saying I should.

 

 

On the other hand, I miss my family a lot. And when I talked to my Grandma on the phone last night, and when my friend wrote on my facebook wall saying she need me back home, and when my brother called me tonight to say that he got a 31 on the ACT, my heart got a whole bigger to hold all of the joy I was feeling.